Friday, April 6, 2012

He was on the roof.

The fucking roof.


Here, let me just lay out what happened: Skeptic, a thirty-year-old man with a chest wound that was still healing, got out of his hospital bed and walked up five flights of stairs to the roof. Nobody saw him do this. None of the nurses or orderlies I talked to saw him leave or walking up the stairs. He shouldn't even have been able to walk up those stairs -- the doctor says he should barely be able to stand.


And yet I found him on the roof looking over the side. For a moment, I was scared that he was going to jump. Then he turned and looked at me and said, "Sum." I rushed over and pulled him away from the edge, all the while he was saying, "Sum. Mer. Sum. Mer."


By the time I had gotten him back to bed (and yelled out the nurses and orderlies for letting him leave), he was chanting, "In. Vince. Able. Sum. Mer."


Someone, this phrase has gotten stuck on a loop in his mind. It's from a quote by Albert Camus - you can read the whole thing here. Needless to say, he loves the quote for some stupid reason. But I have no idea why it's looping through his head.


I'm just glad he's back in bed.


(Except how did he leave without anyone seeing? Fuck.)

No comments:

Post a Comment